Improve Your Child's Health With Upper Cervical Pediatric CareSpecific. Gentle. Safe.
Children Deserve The Best Care
Upper Cervical Pediatric Care
The upper cervical spine is a critical area to be free from stress on the nervous system, and given extensive growth rate, this is an extremely important concern in pediatric health care. Cases document the success of chiropractic care in providing significant improvements and/or total resolution of a myriad of conditions commonly affecting children. Moreover, these children typically responded favorably to care in one to three corrections. Although chiropractic is not used to treat a specific disease or condition, it seems to produce whole-body effects that have been observed empirically in clinical practice and reported in the literature.
Life for the newborn depends on the preservation and healthy functioning of the brainstem and upper cervical cord.
Detailed Information & Recommendations
In infants, the central nervous system controls their growth and development. This is easy to see as newborns quickly outgrow their clothes and start moving, crawling and walking. Their little bodies are continuing rapid growth that started with just two cells. Muscles and bones are growing. Their immune system is developing. Their brains and senses are developing. The brains must communicate to the body for properly functioning parts and systems. It is a delicate and long lasting process that every human being goes through. Being the time of greatest brain and body development, you want to ensure the health of the nervous system. It is common, however, not normal to have health problems. There is no such thing as a normal health problem. The body was designed to function properly and overcome health struggles.
Infant Health Risk
Common causes of health concerns in children.
- “As the twig is bent, so grows the tree”
- Spinal cord and brainstem injuries often occur during the process of birth, but frequently escape diagnosis.
- Various health symptoms attributed to sub-occipital strains.
- Motor vehicle accidents are a significant risk factor for causing cervical injuries. This is particularly true in the upper cervical spines of children because of the difference between the size of the child’s larger head and smaller, less developed neck.
- The joints in the neck are soft and will not harden until approximately 7-10 years of age, and significant stability cannot occur until this has been accomplished.
The human body has an amazing potential to grow and take care of itself. The central nervous system consists of the brain and spinal cord, and it processes everything that your body does. Every movement and heartbeat, every sensation like seeing a baby smile, feeling the sun on your skin, laughing, smelling – all coordinated by the brain and spinal cord. Healing is also controlled by the nervous system. If you were to have a scrape or cut, the body will start the healing process immediately without you even thinking about it. The problem will heal itself.
When there is a breakdown in communication between the brain and the body, we start to see a breakdown in how the body functions. It is at this point that restoring the communication and allowing the body to heal will be of greatest benefit. This is what upper cervical chiropractors look for – disturbances in the nervous systems that interfere with healthy growth and development.
Signs That There Is A Problem
Symptoms serve to help a person understand that a problem exists. The problem usually is not the symptom. The symptom is the result of the problem, much like a smoke detector going off at 3 in the morning is not the problem – the problem is the fire that set the alarm off. Treating the symptoms without addressing the cause may result in delayed healing or additional health problems. Just like silencing an alarm during a fire will not stop the fire, but may result in more ashes.
Symptom based care is a never-ending road and will not lead to true health. Become well without being compelled by symptoms. If symptoms are starting to appear, the sooner you address the cause, the sooner the body can heal.
Natural Care For Children
When there is stress on the nervous system the body responds to that stress. In the upper part of the neck, there is a vertebra that is commonly found to be in an improper position, causing stress and nerve interference to the nervous system. With the stress and interference, muscles can tighten and pull on one or both sides of the neck and head causing constant discomfort and impaired body function to develop.
Upper Cervical care is not symptom based care. A specific upper cervical correction unlocks the misaligned vertebra, relieves interference on the spinal cord and nerves, removes tension from the head and neck muscles and restores postural balance to the body. This is how many people find natural relief from their health concerns. But the primary objective of upper cervical care is to remove true consistent nerve pressure and by doing that allows the nervous system to become healthy once again.
Pediatric Upper Cervical Evaluation
- Complete history of the mothers pregnancy, labor & birth process, lifestyle activities and current problems.
- Physical evaluation including head, neck and spine. Passive ROM, muscle tone and general appearance.
- Upper cervical chiropractors note postural corrections as a by product of specific upper cervical adjustments. These doctors advocate that one of the benefits of chiropractic care for the pediatric population is eliminating spinal stress. That is the weight of the head centered and structurally & neurologically balanced on the child’s developing spine.
Benefits Others Have Experienced With Upper Cervical Care
- Upper Cervical chiropractic adjustments are among the safest procedures in the provision of human health care service, when compared to mortality and morbidity rates in medical practice. Chiropractic has an outstanding and enviable safety record.
- Improved immune system coordination and response to illness.
- Optimum development of the spine and prevention of spine related conditions – structural and neurological.
Common Concerns That Have Responded To Upper Cervical Care
- Allergies & asthma
- Trouble breathing
- Reflux or frequent spitting up
- Irritability & infantile colic
- Difficulty nursing – impaired sucking & swallowing
- Otitis media – ear infection
- Balance issues
- Seizure disorders
- Sleeping difficulty
- Delayed developmental milestones
- Towbin A. Latent spinal cord and brain stem injuries in newborn infants. Dev Med Child Neurol 1969;11(1):54-68.
- Eriksen, Kirk. Orthospinology Procedures: An Evidence-based Approach to Spinal Care. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2007.
- Gutmann G. Blocked atlantal nerve syndrome, in infant and small children. ICA Int Rev Chiro 1990;46(4);37-43
- Biedermann H Kinematic imbalance due to sub-occipital strain in newborns. J Man Med 1992;6(5):151-6.
- Pamphlett R, Raisanen J, Kum-Jew S. Vertebral artery compression resulting from head movement: A possible cause of the sudden infant death syndrome. Pediatrics 1999;103(2):460-8
- Johnston C, Rivara FP, Soderbeg R. children in car crashes: Analysis of data for injury and use of restraints. Pediatrics 1994;93:960-5
- Anrig C. Upper Cervical Care and the Pediatric Patient. Dynamic Chiropractic April 10, 2006, Vol. 24, Issue 08
- Terrett AGJ. Current Concepts: Vertebrobasilar Complications following Spinal Manipulation. West Des Moines, IA: NCMIC Group, Inc., 2001.
- Prax C. Upper cervical care of the pediatric patient: a review of the literature. Journal of Clinical Chiropractic Pediatrics 1999;4(1):257-263.
- Doyle MF. Is Chiropractic Pediatric Care Safe? A Best Evidence Topic. Clinical Chiropractic 2011 (Sep); 14 (3): 97–105
Additional Concerns? Email Us
McKinney, Allen, Plano, Frisco, Prosper
We Can Help
This approach helps to regain health and promote wellness in a way many have not experienced.
Is it safe?
Chiropractic is among the safest procedures of human health care services. Chiropractic has an outstanding and enviable safety record.
Whether you have a large spine or a tiny one, communication of the nervous system may be negatively impacted by interfering vertebra. If interference exists, our body would be unable to regulate and co-ordinate itself correctly.
Does it really work?
The practice of chiropractic is based on sound scientific principles. The existence of the nervous system as the primary control mechanism of the body is an undisputed scientific fact. Its relationship with the spine is the focus of the practice of chiropractic. Through addressing the interference on the nervous system, the doctor of chiropractic endeavors to restore normal nerve expression. The body is then able to respond appropriately to any imbalance in the system, thus restoring function and health.
Improve Your Child's Health With Upper Cervical Pediatric Care
Related Blog Posts
Blog entries that may relate to children and upper cervical care.
Advanced headache treatment in McKinney, Allen, Plano, Frisco & Prosper. Get to the bottom of your chronic headache concerns.
Why is back pain so common? There is more than one answer to that question. A large number of back pain people suffer because of the following three reasons:
“For the first time in history, U.S children are sicker than the generation before them. They’re not just a little worse off, they are propitiously worse off physically, emotionally, educationally and developmentally.” Good health depends upon on a strong and properly functioning immune system. A properly functioning immune system is one of the keys to a healthy, happy child or anyone for that matter.